I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Removing the Stigma

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness.  Think of your three best friends.  If they're okay, then it's you."  --Rita Mae Brown

 
So my post the other day has gotten me thinking.  And then there was the post that quickly went viral on Facebook entitled "I Am Adam Lanza's Mother."  I shared it and got a lot of positive feedback (and some controversy).  It also has gotten a lot of attention in the media.  What struck me about this post was not the shocking value of it--I can actually see some of that in my own experience.  It is just how honestly and vulnerably she shared it.  She spoke up when most people stay quiet about a topic that is still taboo. 

After a long walk on the beach yesterday, I decided I want to do my little part to make mental illness such a taboo.  I want us to start talking about it.  I want it to come out into the open as that is the only way that we can really affect change.  I've "come out" about my sexual orientation--I think it's time that more of us "come out" about our experiences with mental illness.  Until we do, it is just another part of us that is held back from living wholly and authentically. 

So here's what I'd like to ask of you:
  • In your comments below or in an e-mail message directly to me, send me a story of mental illness that has affected you.  You can include what you've told people before or what you've never shared.  You can tell how it impacted you or how keeping it a secreted impacted you or your family--anything you think is relevant is welcome. 
I'll pull them together and anonymously share them, if you give me permission.  Now, I know I don't have tons of readers, but I think there are enough of you to have a story or two.  I'll share some of mine too.  Please help me. 

Caveat:  It has been hypothesized, but it has NOT been firmly established that Adam Lanza had mental illness.  It is just that, in my mind, I just can't justify this kind of carnage without it.  If it is not, then I'm going to have to have some real introspective discussions about the nature of evil. 


No comments:

Post a Comment