I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Going Crazy

"No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys."

So what?  I'm going a little crazy.  Everyone goes through it, right? 

I realized today that I was on three continents and four cities in one week.  That should drive someone crazy right there.  But that's not what is driving me crazy.

I've been out of town or worked every single day for the last 15 days.  That should drive someone really crazy.  But that is not what is driving me crazy. 

Until last night, I hadn't bought a single thing for Christmas and still had a lot of gaps on my Christmas list.  That should drive me crazy, but it didn't. 

No, what is driving me crazy is something I didn't do.  Something I have no control over.  Something that impacts my children, but only impacts me through them (yes, that's significant, but it is not me--there is a difference, I'm learning).  Something that makes me mad and sad, but not the end of the world.  No, I'm letting it drive me crazy because I choose to.  And THAT, is crazy.  Yes, what is crazy is that it is driving me crazy. 

I am also choosing to expect that these holidays are going to be difficult and sad.  That's also a crazy choice.  Why would I choose that?  This is an attitude choice. 

So I am going to TRY to make a different choice.  I choose to:
  • Make my own healthy choices that are in the best interest of me and my children.  And to make such good choices that they will maybe in some small way counteract any other choices that are affecting their lives negatively.
  • Enjoy the holidays.  Don't stress.  Find joy.  Eat, drink and be merry.  Enjoy friends.  Laugh.
  • Remember every day how incredibly lucky I am. 
Call me crazy, but I think I can do it. 

2 comments:

  1. Call me crazy, but "Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you." ~Maori Proverb

    Thank you. I love you.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete