I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Plenty of Music


I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go without effort, when I am filled with music.  --George Eliot, 1819 – 1880

Right now I'm tired of thinking about  my feelings, hard times, and other negative things on my blog.  I feel like some of my posts are real downers.  And while there is still drama and negative things happening, I just need a musical interlude. 

I found this quote on my daily feed from a Unitarian Universalist minister and it describes how I feel about music.  From my earliest days, I remember having a music soundtrack to my life.  Chicago was the band of my first boyfriend.  Asia was the band of the summer I left for Spain.  When I was in labor with Eric (a very fast process) all I was focused on was getting the music going.  Christmas isn’t a holiday until the Christmas music is playing.  And getting music wired into the house was one indulgence that I felt totally justified in having—it made me happy. 

When I turn on the music (and boy how my life has improved with Pandora), my blood pressure goes down.  I breathe better and I can just sit and be.  When the music is playing, I actually enjoy the chores of cleaning, laundry and bill paying.  I love putting my itunes on random and having songs from my past just show up and unveil a memory that I had long forgotten. 

In my crazy world, the moments I treasure are the ones where I can turn on the music and just sit in my red chaise and journal, think, rest or just be.  That’s the ideal, but having the music with anything makes my life better.

2 comments:

  1. Two weeks... no writing... no thoughts on the new year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nudge! New post just up! (Whoever this is--I'm glad someone's waiting!)

      Delete