I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Goal: Be alone in a quiet room

All men’s mis­eries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone.’ ~Blaise Pas­cal

Being alone in a quiet room is one of the most profound ways to discover you're never alone.—Adam Hansen

For many of my good friends, I’ve become a source for personal goal-setting and accountability for personal growth.  It is not uncommon for people to schedule a lunch to set personal goals, go over resumes, plan job changes or other activities that I lump under “coaching.”  I’m not certified and sometimes I don’t even feel qualified, but being a professional Facilitator and being naturally non-judgemental has given me enough of the skills and mindset to be helpful. 

So last week I was at such a luncheon with my friend Joan helping her figure out her personal and professional goals for 2012.  At the end of the lunch, she casually asked me what my goals were for 2012.  She figured, as she should, that of course I would have already taken care of them.   

I was shocked and amused to realize that I hadn’t.  But then after a few seconds, I realized that I actually had—I just hadn’t written them down.  But it is almost as if I am INCAPABLE of NOT setting goals.  So I had done them as intentions, as thoughts, but really they were goals. 

Of course, I had my professional ones all mapped out.  To sell $X of projects, to roll out a new program and to sell it to at least one other major client.  I know how many project days I’m hoping to work and how much that will translate to in income.  Done. 

Personally, I was initially at a loss until I realized that I had also set those goals.  I had made a new years intention “for my work life to be challenging and rewarding but my personal life to be boring and average.”  And I had set other things in motion as well.  So here are my personal goals for 2012:
·         Do not date—take another year getting to know myself and being the stability for my children.
·         Do a half marathon by end of February 2012
·         Do at least one triathlon in 2012, but ideally two. 
·         Have one night a week be a quiet, boring, at home evening. 
·         To not have more than six projects in motion at one time.  Before starting a new project, I must complete one of the old ones. 
·         Lead at least two services at church in 2012.
·         Write two blog posts a week. 

Except for the half-marathon, that is pretty average and boring for me.  But the one I’m most excited about is having one night where I just sit and do nothing.  Just hang out.  Watch tv if I want (but I probably won’t).  Read, meditate, journal, just chill—whatever.   After I left last year, I found that this alone time was my most valuable.  As I’ve gotten away from that chaotic time, I’ve forgotten to do it as often.  This is one way of bringing it back.  I can’t wait to get on those goals!

2 comments:

  1. On one of those nights where you are alone and quiet you shold poke around the blogger site and add a gadget that allows folks to subscribe to your blog through email. Not everyone has a blogger or google account and this way they will receive an email each time you post and it will keep them in touch more easily...

    It's funny how I never asked you to help me set goals, but I know you do it for lots of folks... I bet you're a good coach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By April when I get there, we will be able to do check-in, to see how you are doing in meeting goals! And maybe check some off! Yay!

    ReplyDelete