I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Importance of Girlfriends

"One of the best things a man can do for his health is to be married to a woman, whereas for a woman, one of the best things she can do for her health is to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends."  --Head of Psychiatry at Stanford University

This was a quote that I found on an article posted by my friend, Karin.  And, oh, how true it is.  The lecturer that was speaking said that men focus mostly on activities, but that women regularly talk about their feelings and their inner-most thoughts.  And it is those connections that make us feel better.  There are actually studies that show that our level of seratonin (the chemical that makes us feel good) increase when we spend time with girlfriends--as much as they increase when you exercise.  

I get it.  I've experienced it.  And I need it.  

I'm still going through a pretty tough time.  Or, really I should say that my boys are--both mentally and physically.  And the result is a stressed and bummed out mom.  But I feel like with all my challenges and all those of my boys has made me quite the Debbie Downer--I'm tired of how down I feel; I imagine that my friends are pretty tired of it too.  But they don't have to live with my Debbie Downer as much as I do.  And maybe even that me in a down mood is still something that they like to hang around.  And lord knows that I need it, so I'm reaching out.  The truth is, I don't really need to--they find me.  I have evenings planned all this week with good friends.  I'm so blessed.

It's a good thing.  I need some seratonin.   

1 comment:

  1. Load up on that seratonin! And to echo a mutual friend of ours, if I were closer, I'd absolutely get in on that.

    ReplyDelete