I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gratitude for a job and joy in a job well done

Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed you in temperance, self-control, diligence, strength of will, contentment, and a hundred other virtues which the idle never know.  --Charles Kingsley, 1819 – 1875


Three weeks ago some clients of mine and I sat at a restaurant and came up with a crazy idea for how to get their company executives to think more about the consumer perspective.  After a couple of bottles of wine, we had come up with a crazy idea that was insane to think about doing.  It was too much to ask for in too short of a period of time.  Really, it was nuts.

Well, that project just ended today.  And it was a success beyond any of our expectations. 

I've been having conversations with Kyle about work.  He is having a hard time believing that people can really find a career that is more than just a job.  After being my child for 16 years, I don't know where he gets this, but he does.  And I have to say how much I actually adore what I do.  And I really love the people I work with.  We make amazing things happen every day, but some days we actually make the impossible possible.  Today was one of those days.

I've tried to tell Kyle that even if I didn't get paid, I may still possibly do this job because I love it so much.  And I would not be the person I am if I didn't work.  And I am so much richer of a person because I have THIS job.  And I've seen retired people just radically change after they stop working.  I want to keep working for a long time; I want to feel valued and useful long into my old age. 

There are all kinds of jobs--from raising children to running companies.  I am grateful for the opportunity to stretch my mind, influence people, practice team-building and make myself the best that I can be at every turn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment