I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

People...people who need people...

Somehow we've come to equate success with not needing anyone. It's as if we've divided the world into "those who offer help" and "those who need help." The truth is we are both.  –Brene Brown

So I have been in therapy for much of this past year—learning what I need to learn, healing what I need to heal and sometimes just blowing off steam.  The interesting thing about me is that I keep walking into my therapist’s office and try to convince her how well I’m doing.  I tell her how well I’m coping with things and try to highlight some of the healthy actions I’ve taken that week.  Yes, I get the irony and absurdity of this.  She’s there to help me with the parts that are hard, the things that aren’t going well and to be a support to me as I learn more about myself.  But I’m still looking for that parental approval; someone to tell me that I’m “doing well.” 

Well, not this week.  No, this week I went in and told her how it is.  My kids are falling apart, both physically and emotionally.  My wasband continues to make parenting decisions that drive me crazy.  And I just came off a weekend with an old friend that could only be described as emotionally exhausting.  I’m a pile of mush, actually. 

The quote from Brene Brown has been my great challenge and struggle of this year.  I’ve had to learn that I don’t have to be strong all the time.  I have also learned that I don’t have to help all the time; sometimes I’m worthy of receiving help.  And I definitely have fallen into the category of needing help.  I feel like the scale has totally tipped to the other side lately and I’m wondering when I’ll be offering help more than I’m needing help.  But I think in my lifetime, the scale has mostly been tilted the other way so I’m probably due.  The truth is, that I’m both.  I’m trying to embrace both. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that we spend a lot of time trying to convince ourselves and others that everything is ok and we're doing fine. But in the end some days we're not ok, we're not fine. And that's ok too. We develop coping mechanisms to deal with the not ok days and sometimes they work... exercise, sleep, wine, chocolate, laughter, friends... but sometimes that doesn't work either... In the end, I think time is the best answer for a lot of things in life. Time doesn't solve the problem, but it does give us new perspectives, new ideas, and sometimes the right person appears that can help. I know you troubles seem to go on and on and I hope you find the strength to ask for help, but also the strength to be patient and figure out exactly what help you need.

    ReplyDelete