I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Time For Some Candy

We need each other. Each of us is responsible for what happens on this earth. We are each absolutely essential, each totally irreplaceable. Each of us is the swing vote in the bitter election battle now being waged between our best and our worst possibilities.  --Leonard Peltier, 1944-

I love my friends!  In the last 15 months, I've seen just what the power of good friends who can really be there for you can do. 

If you are reading this, you've gotten to see comments from two of my biggest supporters--Deb and Candy post on my blog all the time (I wish others did too, but I love that many of you reach out to me personally). 

Today, Candy is coming to Orlando and I'm SO EXCITED!!  I feel like a little school girl giddy for her first sleepover.  Actually, I've been the adult version of that--I've been frantically trying to get my work done so I can enjoy the day off with her tomorrow.  And I've also been throwing laundry in the washer and trying to make my place look inhabitable (although I know she totally doesn't care). 

Candy's and my story is very unique.  We went to Wittenberg together.  She was actually a little sis at Robb's fraternity--and we were BOTH his little sisses.  (I know, the "family" idea of the greek system is odd, and I laughed at it at the time, but I appreciate it now).  Then I joined her sorority the following year and got to know her even further. 

The last time I saw Candy was at her wedding.  I was still in college and it seemed like such a grown up thing to do--to get married. 
Fast forward to last summer--23 years later.  I was in the divorce project but still months away from it being finalized.  I was having dinner in Columbus with another sorority sister who mentioned that Candy just got divorced.  I tentatively reached out to her and said "hey, I think we have something in common..."

Thus begun a beautiful relationship--done entirely on e-mail and texts.  Managing the ups and downs and all the changes that our new family situations presented us.  We virtually drank our way together through Thanksgiving, we reassured each other that our kids would be alright, we vented about some of the "interesting" things our wasbands did.  Essentially, we were support in a loving, encouraging way--being the people in each other's lives that could say "yes, I truly understand where you're coming from." 

So, Candy and I are hanging out this weekend and going to the beach and talking and talking.  The funny thing is that we're doing it after having not seen each other in 23 years and not talking. 

[Postlogue--I'm sending this the next morning after she arrived.  We talked until 2 and went through a bottle of wine.  And I love her even more in person!]


4 comments:

  1. Just one bottle? ;)

    I'm thrilled that you two are together this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First - Holy Cow you were in a sorority? Just a little giggling inside myself. Next, the been there done that friends are absolutely irreplaceable - even after 23 years. What an amazing connection. Have a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather--yes, a sorority. I gagged a little bit when I heard about all the "sisterhood" in college, but I can tell you it is true!

      And I hope that you and I can connect in person too sometime so we can also become old/new close friends too?

      Delete
  3. Hope it was as fun as can be... there ain't nothing like a good friend being there for you! :)

    ReplyDelete