I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Road Trip Delight

I am a stranger to half measures. With Life I am on the attack, restlessly ferreting out each pleasure, foraging for answers, wringing from it even the pain. I ransack life, hunt it down. I am the hungry peasants storming the palace gates. I will have my share. No matter how it tastes.   --Marita Golden, 1950 -

Kyle and I just came back from a four day monster road trip.  It was supposed to be a weekend roadtrip to Nashville to see a concert for his birthday.  But my son is like me and saw an opportunity for something bigger.  Like the quote, he wanted to ransack this road trip and ferret all the pleasures.  It started with an innocent comment he made, "you know, mom, Cincinnati is only 4 hours away from Nashville..."  So, we added two days and a trip to Cincinnati to our agenda. 

What is so remarkable about the trip was how unremarkable it was.  We settled into two hour shifts of driving.  We negotiated the music.  We ate as much as we could from what we brought and stayed on a budget for the rest.  We helped the other person out when they were driving by grabbing waters, changing the iPod music, checking the directions.  We used our please and thank yous.  We got on each others' nerves slightly and then backed off.  We stopped when we needed to and whoever didn't need to pee pumped the gas. 

Really, I think I just got schooled on how to be in a comfortable relationship by my son. 

Roadtrips were never like this with Robb.   To be fair, he really wasn't a fan.  But he was so worried about making good time and crazy drivers and backed up traffic that the any trip with him was stressful.  As a result, I just did any trips with the boys by myself.  And that's hard when you're the only driver.  But with a good teen driver, the equation changes. 

We also got a good reminder of some of the special people in our lives.  People who love us for who we are, not what we do or how often we see them.  We are so blessed to have people like that in our lives. 

So, I'm exhausted and delighted by the trip.  So off to bed...with a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment