I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

I See You and You are Amazing

What did we ever do before Facebook memes?  I love quotes.  I love them so much that I made them the structure around which I made this blog. 

I just saw this one:

And it represents SO MUCH of what I'm going for here. 

I want people to SEE ME.  All of me--my beauty and my warts.  I want people to see my good deeds and all the times I screw up.  My kindness and my selfishness. 

Here are a few things that touch me and show me that you see me:
*  When I say something obscure and small and you actually remember it and reference it in a future conversation.  I know this sounds obvious, but it means you were really listening.  And what I said was important enough that you saved some long-term memory storage for it.  It's really a big compliment. 
*  When I say something--and you want to know more.  You ask questions, you dig further.  You don't just immediately tell me what YOU think, you ask to know more about what I think.  It means that you're interested in my thoughts and feelings as more than just jump-starters for your own.
*  When you haven't heard from me in a while and you randomly reach out to say hi and see if I'm okay.  What that means is that you've noticed the hole in your life where you see me being and you miss me.  And that you care what is happening to me. 

And, oh do I want to see you too.  I'm sometimes too absorbed in wanting you to see me to do that.  And sometimes I'm working so hard to make you see me to do that.  Because I'm fallible and very human.  But I really do want to see you--all of you.  I want you to feel safe in showing me your warts, fears and pride. 

Wouldn't this world be such a better place if we could really see each other and let ourselves be seen.  I challenge each one of you to show one other person today that you see them. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't comment on this appropriately because it makes me cry. But I see you. Thank you for seeing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this because really we all want to matter. You are such a great example of this and are a great encourager! I SEE YOU and I know you see me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for putting my feelings into words. I've been trying very hard lately to be seen. Maybe I need to spend more energy seeing others.

    ReplyDelete