I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

My job is to support their dreams!

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great.  When you are seeking to bring big plans to fruition, it is important with whom you regularly associate.  Hang out with friends who are like-minded and who are also designing purpose-filled lives.  Similarly be that kind of a friend to your friends.  --Mark Twain

Mindy Simmons was one of the artists at SUUSI and told a story at one of her concerts (I went to a LOT of concerts, jam sessions, and talks of these amazing artists) about her time as a musician. She said she didn't have parents who asked her when she was going to get a "real job."  Her parents were always encouraging of the difficult path she had chosen to be a musician.  In fact, she called her parents when she decided one night to just stop performing at nightclubs and bars because she didn't like that her main job was to just keep customers drinking (and then go get into cars).  Instead of worrying about how she would pay her bills (her biggest concern), they came over and put all of her childhood stuffed animals around her kitchen table and throw her a little party.  It obviously touched her, and it touched me. 

(To the left--a video of Mindy Simmons "Ain't Florida Neat"--this isn't the typical type of song that she does, but I found it to be amusing and oh-so-real as a resident of the Sunshine State).

So I want this to be a reminder to myself to just support my children on their dreams, no matter how much my own sirens about "reality" and "income" and doubts come into my head.  They have enough people in the world who will be trying to squash their dreams.  My job is to encourage them to go for it. 

This is already a challenge since Eric (who just turned 15) has already picked out his college for music production.  I think that's great, except that it is a 2-year school and I really want him to get a 4-year degree to keep all his possibilities open.  But, my job is to encourage him to follow his dream, support him along the way and help him to do what makes his heart sing.  Lord knows, his musical talents are there to take him wherever he wants to go.

Kyle wants to learn business and video production and work for Pixar.  As a business woman, I know how hard that is and how many obstacles he will have to overcome.  But the world will tell him all those things.  My job is to raise him up, see the dream with him and encourage him every step of the way. 

Someone please just give me gentle reminders...

1 comment: