I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Orlando is So Gay!

I seek this day an active wonder. An active wonder is the desperate need of my mind and spirit. The awareness of the unexplored and the untried until I find my way into their secret places, this I need and I seek. The illumination of wonder over my familiar landscape, revealing ordinary things, fresh glories, making manifest in my familiar heights and depths that which I have never known – this I need and I seek this day.  --Howard Thurman, 1899 – 1981

I am pretty sure that Howard Thurman was not thinking of exploring the way I'm thinking about it right now, but he's dead and I'm not. 

Orlando is ranked the second gayest city by the Advocate (http://news.advocate.com/post/15571734525/gayest-cities-in-america-2012).  The two things they mention are the Orlando Fringe Festival which was the last two weekends and Gay Days which is next weekend.  So, basically, right now is the high holy days of gayness here in Orlando. 

I've been out as a bi-sexual for many years.  And I'm still not entirely sure which way I'll swing when I choose my next relationship, but I'm hoping to at least experiment with the female persuasion.  Obviously, I've had experience in the male side, but I'm very green in the area of female relationships.  I'm actually not looking for a relationship now--my focus is on "dating" myself and keeping the kids stable.  But that doesn't mean that a girl can't do a little research and reconnaissance.  I'm a huge fan of the Fringe Festival (which I'd love whether it was gay or not--it's just that being gay makes it cooler).  But Gay Days is a whole foreign land for me.  So, I'm sticking my little toe in and am going to check it out this coming weekend. 

I'm very interested in the expo that they're having at the convention center.  They're touting it as the largest gay and lesbian expo in the country.  I'm just wondering what it will have there.  I've seen the list of past exhibitors--there are tons of dog rescue groups, Sea World and hotels and restaurants that sound like they are just standard for anyone.  There are the expected folks like PFLAG and HRC.  But there are also random titles like the Florida Gay Rodeo Association, Womenfest and Rainbow 411.  How can you not be intrigued with that!?  I really see it as an opportunity to just explore, take it in and learn something (and be amused). 

Then there are pool parties at the hosting hotel.  There are three different pool parties--one for the the men, one for the women and one for the bears (not enough room here to explain--google it).  I guess people just hang out at the pool, soak up the sun and meet people.  I'm just picturing myself sitting in the corner watching and being scared to do anything else--but I know I won't. 

I'm bringing my good friends Nicki and Rachel to help me--plus everything is more fun with them!  Send me your good energy and any pieces of advice!

3 comments:

  1. Play safe of course, but for goodness sake, please play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that!

    You get Fringe. Here in Columbus, which has the second highest gay population per capita (only to San Francisco), we have Pride Week ending in Comfest, a community festival centered around music, but openly gay.

    I must insist that you add it to your Must Do List. We never miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way..."he's dead and I'm not" is the greatest thing I have heard in a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete