I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Tangled Orchard of Imperfections

The mind I love most must have wild places, a tangled orchard where dark damsons drop in the heavy grass, an overgrown little wood, the chance of a snake or two, a pool that nobody fathomed the depth of, and paths threaded with flowers planted by the mind." --Katherine Mansfield

I have been slowly learning to love my imperfections. 

Please know that it hasn't gone right to love.  At first, I had to first look at them.  Then I had to learn not to feel bad about them (shame really is a useless emotion).  Then, to have a little compassion for them.  And from all that eventually comes love. 

I do have the wild mind, the tangled orchard, the overgrown woods, snakes and even some flowers.  Here are just a few of my imperfections that I love.

  • I don't do small talk.  My friends have called me "Heavy, deep and real" for years because I go deep right away--little time for the chit chat.  I always felt bad for that before that I wasn't doing the "social talk" right; but now I just see it as refreshing.  Actually I see this in my youngest son as well and I LOVE it in him.
  • I don't have a good sense of the lines of propriety.  My co-workers joke "oops--there's the line, she went over it."  Whether it's sex, politics, crude humor, whatever--I just go there.  But let's be honest...I'm just saying what you're thinking, aren't I?
  • I don't tolerate petty things.  I don't necessarily stand up to it either, I just walk away.  I just don't want to spend my time on things that are insignificant.  I used to think of it as not having a backbone or not social.  Now I just see it as a good use of time.
  • I'm not a big fan of conflict.  I'll need to work on how to manage this for the really important things within a relationship, but for most people, I'll let it go and just love you--deal with it.
  • I'm affectionate and am a big fan of hugs.  I know some people have personal space issues, but I just don't care.  I'm going to hug you anyway.
  • I like to be in charge.  Always have and probably always will.  I used to feel bad for being miss bossy-pants, but I find that most people like following me.  And I'm in a job where they do now and shit is getting done. 
  • I come across pretty strong (You don't think so?  Did you just read the last six points?).  I'd like to be softer and more approachable and I'm working on that.  But some of my hardness has helped me to get where I am and I'm grateful for it.  I don't need it all now and could replace it with some vulnerability--give me some time to transition to that...
What are your wild places and tangled orchards?  How do they make up your wild and awesome garden?

1 comment:

  1. What I love about this post is the dual nature of your commentary. You are trying so hard to love your imperfections. But at the same time, you also give a nod to the fact that you are trying to improve. I think this is key in the long run. We as humans are not static or stupid. We all need to love ourselves, but we are also constantly changing, adaptable creatures. Our current selves are the sum total of our previous days. Today will add one more day to the sum total creating us tomorrow, and on and on... each day and each situation requires an interaction and that interaction forms our future... thus these things you list are not really imperfections, perhaps simply differences that make you unique. The real conversation is whether these behaviors serve you well in your life or need adapting... and you can decide differently every day.

    To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Ecclesiastes (or the Byrds... your choice)

    ReplyDelete