I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Try-Athlete

"Divine am I inside and out and I make holy whatever I touch or am touch'd from, the scent of these arm-pits' aroma finer than prayer.  --Walt Whitman

This Sunday is my annual Mother's Day ritual.  Some mothers have a ritual of getting breakfast in bed, getting a massage, going out for an extravagant brunch.  No, my ritual consists of:
  • Getting up around 4 am and carrying a bunch of gear to a big pen with loads of women.
  • Getting grease paint writings on my body.
  • Getting in a lake before 8am and then swimming a half mile
  • Getting on a bike and riding for 12 miles (this time with hills!)
  • Then putting on running shoes and running a 5k.
  • Then, covered in lake scum and sweat, hugging my children and some of my dearest friends while they put a $3 medal (that I paid $97 for).
  • And then going out to IHOP for some disgusting breakfast with my children.
Yes, you're weeping with the sentimentality of it, aren't you?

This will be my seventh triathlon.  Last year, when I was just going through the divorce and had just moved, I felt like I had barely trained--and I came in with my best time ever (the 30 pounds that I lost during the divorce helped).  Well, my lack of training last year PALES with how little training I've done this year (and the 12 pounds I've gained back).  Really, it's embarrassing how little I've trained, especially compared to my friends (two of them are 69 and 72, respectively and one just learned how to swim to do this). 

But still, this is MY journey.  I said something similar for my half-marathon:  my half mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run is the exact same distance as anyone else's.  And I'm not in it to break any records or impress anyone with my prowess.  I'm in this for me.  It is actually my favorite thing to do on Mother's Day.  To me, it represents:
  • Showing my children how strong I am.
  • Being in the presence of amazing women who inspire me.
  • Doing something for myself--physically, emotionally and spiritually.
  • Showing myself that I am always capable of more than I think I am.
Today I did a mini tri to just prove to myself that I won't die on Sunday.  I won't.  I'm thinking of it as a just really long, overdue workout.  And then I'll be treated like the princess that I am by my children.  Really, what could be better?

1 comment:

  1. Safe journey girl... See you Sunday... Joy, come what may... <3

    ReplyDelete