I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

1 Step Back and 2 Steps Forward

We should not feel embarrassed by our difficulties, only by our failure to grow anything beautiful from them.   --Alain de Botton

2011 and 2012 have been a dramatic and traumatic time in our family.  While we all have struggled, my youngest son has had a very challenging last 12 months.  I'm STILL waiting for my drama-free, calm, uneventful 2012 to kick in.  There's still time, right?

I could focus on that--and dwell on the negatives in his life and how they are not over yet.  But I'm not going to.  Instead, I'm going to focus on all the great things that have happened this week for him.  I'm trying the approach of putting my energy into the places that I want more of rather than dwelling on things that I want less of (you could also look at it as another way of saying I'm putting my head in the sand, but I prefer the more enlightened version of the story).

His band is rocking!  This week alone, they've gotten band photos, got a recording date for next weekend and gotten two gigs (HS Talent Show and the 3pm slot at a Catholic Church fall festival--gotta start somewhere!). 

He worked all day yesterday (like literally 12 hours) to get through all the tests and studying and courses to get his Learner's Permit and got it this evening.  We started driving right away and he did really well.  And, while I try not to compare my children, I think teaching this one to drive will be much less stressful than teaching my elder one (he's calmer, and I've already been broken in). 

He's just doing a lot of things right.  He's cheerfully doing his chores, getting his grades higher, and just generally being more agreeable.

Without getting into details, this child has had some obstacles the last 18 months.  I'm just so glad to see him have some successes as well.  And, we'll still have challenges ahead, but I'm focusing on what is good. 

Good job, Eric!

1 comment:

  1. A good reminder for us all to be grateful for the good times...

    ReplyDelete