I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Actions and Consequences

Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions.  All life is an experiment.  The more experiments you make the better.  What if they be a little coarse, and you may get your coat soiled or torn?  What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice?  Up again; you shall never be so afraid of a tumble.   --Ralph Waldo Emerson


At major times in my life, the decisions I’ve made have seemed SOOOOO big.  I’m choosing a major—what if I choose the wrong one?  Should I take this job?  What if the move doesn’t turn out well, what if I’m not qualified?  The divorce seemed like the biggest thing in the world at the time that it happened.  There were days that I was literally surprised that the sun kept rising and setting as it felt that seismic to me (I know, dramatic, but true).  Was I making the right decision?  What would be the ramifications?  How could I know?  Would I regret it? 

What I love about this quote is that it forces us to put it all in perspective and look at the long-view of our decisions.  Sometimes we see them in the very short view--what it means right now rather than how we may see it in 10 or 20 years.  Unfortunately, there's not a guide for this life—we’re experimenting. 

When my children were little, I remember Robb and I talking about the fact that we needed to let them fail, screw up and get hurt.  My philosophy was that we could shield them from it and then we’d just delay them understanding how things work.   OR, we could show them that if you try something and it turns out not to be so good, then they can learn to make different decisions. 

Well, sometimes that philosophy takes turns that we don't expect.  Sometimes they fall and skin their knees.  But this week one of my kids had a pretty massive screw up.  He is learning that extreme actions have more severe consequences.  It is hard to see them fail.  It is harder to see them experience the consequences.  And I just hope that the soiled coat truly makes for a stronger, more solid adult. 

This experiment of my last year or so has been a little course and my coat got soiled and torn.  But, you know what?  I got up again.  And I’m not half as afraid of tumbling.  The world doesn’t end.  It goes on and so do I, with learning that I’m tougher than I thought I was.

I hope my son learns and experiences the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. So, we really will live through raising teenagers? Liam just turned 13 and I feel worn out, unprepared, frustrated, scared, and like a total failure after only one week - talk about dramatic! I'm trying to figure out both what I should be learning and what I should be teaching. There's gonna be a lot of rolling in the dirt around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roll, Heather, roll! Get yourself nice and muddy. And know that we're all going through it together. And somehow, most of them--and many of us--come out alive!

    ReplyDelete