I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Peace Amidst The Turmoil

Absence of turmoil is not real peace. Real peace is when you rise above the turmoil and stay peaceful in the midst of it.
- Swami Satchidananda


Remember when my new year's resolution was a calm and boring 2012.  Well, that is apparently not in the cards.  Maybe I'll get it in 2013.  So, I'm taking the Swami's approach instead.    

The only problem is that I'm not sure how to do it.  I'm going to need some guideance and reminders.  So here are my reminders to myself to stay peaceful in the midst of turmoil:
  1. Take time for yourself. 
  2. Exercise is the best way to feel better, I promise.  Endorphins, positive energy, letting off steam--it offers it all.
  3. Remember that everyone is doing the best they can.  Sometimes it meets what you need and sometimes it doesn't.  But we're all trying.
  4. Often what we say isn't what we really mean.  Our emotions may just be hijacking our words.  Remember that for yourself as well as others.
  5. Remember that everything will pass.  It may take its sweet time, but it will.
  6. The answer to everything is love each other.  Really, every single thing.
  7. Remember to be grateful.  My life is still full of so much greatness and abundance.
  8. Enjoy the small pleasures.  Luckily kittens provide a lot of small pleasures.
  9. Eat well.  Don't indulge in comfort food--it won't solve anything and may create new problems.
  10. Lean on friends.  They are there for you no matter what goes on.  And if they love you this much while the shit storms around you, just imagine how great they'll be when you're boring and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment