I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Wonderful!

How wonderful it is to be able to feel things deeply!
The sheer delight of fresh air when you have been indoors all day;
The never ending wonder of sunrise and sunset;
The sound of wind through the trees and the utter wetness of the rain;
The excitement of finding something that was lost and is found:
My fountain pen,
A beautiful word forgotten,
The return of an old book,
The reconciliation after estrangement,
The first step after months of illness…
How wonderful!

--Howard Thurman, 1899 – 1981


Jamaica, Jamaica, how wonderful were you?  So wonderful that I can barely come up with words.  But I think that is my role here....to come up with words, so I'll try. 

THE WEATHER WAS WONDERFUL--It never got too cold and it was never really too hot.  I expected the evenings to be cool, but they were as beautiful and delightful as the days.  It rained for an hour, but even that was beautiful.  Someone at the resort actually called it liquid sunshine.

THE PEOPLE WERE LOVELY--Like, really lovely.  So lovely that we started wondering about their intentions.  They were so friendly, funny, kind and just cool that we were convinced that they were trolling for tips.  What does that say about us? 

THE DRINKS ARE AWESOME--How is it that everything there tasted better?  I'm not a rum drinker, but it just seemed inappropriate to drink anything but rum or Red Stripe.  So we did.  Every time up at the bar, I asked the bartender what they recommended and I don't think I had a single drink twice.  And, yes, I fell in love with Red Stripe Light.

THE RESORT WAS OVER-THE-TOP--We stayed at Beaches, the family resort of the Sandal's family.  It was an all-inclusive resort and, unlike a cruise that says it is all-inclusive but then charges you for everything, this really was all-inclusive.  Including things that we just didn't expect, like water-skiing, sailboats, top shelf alcohol, great food and outstanding restaurants, 3 pools, a waterslide and a lazy river.  And really nice rooms (with great linens).

WE HAD A BUTLER--I've never felt so spoiled.  Because we had a 3 bedroom suite, we got a butler.  There were two of them who switched off:  Carla and Ricardo.  Their job was to get us anything we needed.  At first felt really bad asking for anything (white privilege guilt and weird slavery issues to still be resolved), but we got over it.  On the first night, Kyle thought of the calling and asking for cookies.  After that, we had cookies everywhere we went.  But the best was the beach.  The first morning, we saw everyone reserving beach chairs and scrounging for towels.  But NO, our butler had set up eight chairs under an awning with towels already laid out and additional towels made into animal shapes.  And even better, there was a cooler filled with our favorite beverages (they already knew all our family's needs could be met with water, Diet Coke and beer!).  The extra touches, special care and just all around kindness was beyond what we could imagine. 

THE BEACH WAS DIVINE--White sand...as soft as snow...leading to crystal clear blue water.  The water was even the perfect temperature.  And the sun set right over the beach with a fantastic show.  It was like someone drew perfection and we just walked into it. 

I JUST SAT AND READ--Lynn wanted to try every water sport.  Eric wanted to try every food station.  Kyle wanted to take naps (and sneak a few rum drinks).  I just wanted to sit on the lounge chair on the beach and read.  I wanted to read A LOT.  I just wanted to watch the ocean, see the sun rise, see the sun set and read.  So, while everyone else did what they wanted, I did what I wanted (but also learned how to Paddleboard--which is really cool).  Luckily, when I banged up my knee, that is exactly what I needed to do.  Have it propped up and not move it. 

Luckily I had a Butler to bring me ice and fruity rum drinks. 

3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? A butler? I'm insanely jealous. Thank-you for getting over your white guilt for those of us who won't have that opportunity. Seats picked out and a cooler ready? I love it! I'm so glad you had time to unwind in such a beautiful place. That can be so restorative. Can't wait to hear some book reviews as I'm always looking for something new to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much it's ridiculous. I can't think of anyone who earned or deserved this more. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home. Hope your knee is better. Glad you had a wonderful time. You can bring me a drink any time... :)

    ReplyDelete