I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Live Every Day To The Fullest

It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.  --Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

How quickly things can change.  I've been thinking about the Treyvon Martin case and how quickly that whole family's life changed.  Our circumstances the last year have proved how quickly a phone call or a conversation can change things.  And I found out today that a good friend just suddenly lost her stepfather this past week in a boating accident. 

I truly believe in living each day to the fullest, but sometimes I just don't do it.  Lately, I haven't been exercising, I've been feeling bad for myself or just hibernating.  (To be fair, I think I have needed some of that.) 

And on Saturday, I got a little taste of how quickly things could change.  It is NOWHERE near the examples I gave above, but it certainly would have changed my world for a short time.  For a few hours, I worried that I had torn something in my knee.  It was some real pain and my head of course started thinking of the future:  how I was going to get through a trip this week, surgery, recovery by myself, not doing the triathlon, gaining weight, etc.  I hated the idea and where my head went with it. 

I don't have an unlimited time on earth.  And for a week, I'm in a brace and a prescription anti-inflammatory and no exercise for a week with a sprained MCL.  But I'm grateful for the time after that and every day that my body is healthy, my mind is positive and my future is bright.  I need to remember to live each day to fullest--emotionally and physically--and be very, very grateful for it.

(And, I can't wait to write about the trip to Jamaica, the unlimited food and drink, the skiing and paddleboarding, the gorgeous beach and the blast we had on banana boat tube ride behind a motor boat with my family that resulted in the bum knee).

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps part of gratitude is imagining the worst and then realizing that even in our darkest days we still have it pretty good.

    Be well friend.

    ReplyDelete