I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Universe Knows

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.   --Terry Pratchett in "Good Omens"

I often call the concept of God "the universe."  That's because the word God connotes an old male omnipotent figure who judges people with a lightening bolt in his hand.  I believe that we are all part of the divine, the energy that we share is the divine and that all of the universe is part of the divine.  If something is done, I like referring to the universe doing that rather than God doing it.  It just feels more appropriate. 

Well, the universe has been very busy in my life the last couple of years (with quite a bit of help from me, of course).  And I usually don't know why things happen until much later, if at all.  But sometimes, the Universe just gives me little gifts that just make me laugh or shake my head.  I've gotten a few of them recently.

  • My iPod seems to run out of battery at very interesting times.  Usually, it is exactly when I need to be listening to nature or friends or just silence.  But hardly ever do I ever regret that I didn't have it.
  • During the half-marathon, it was critical that I stay within a 16 min mile range and I had the perfect watch to help me manage my pace.  I was really worried that I'd fall under that with walking by the end of the race.  But, the watch ran out of batteries right after mile two.  I just laughed.  Because the universe was OBVIOUSLY telling me to stop worrying about the pace or the time and just run.  And I did.  I didn't even know my time until later that night.  I was grateful to the universe for that one.
  • In Jamaica, I sprained my knee.  Oh well, I guess I just had to sit on the lounge chair and read my book.  Thanks Universe!
As a side note, I highly recommend the book that this quote comes from.  Good Omens is a slightly tongue-in-cheek look at the Apocalypse if it were to happen in modern times (just imagine the horsemen replaced with men on Harleys and an archangel losing the anti-Christ).  Terry Pritchett also joined forces with Neil Gaimon to write the Graveyard Book, another one of my favorites (what if a 18-month old child being chased by bad guys was rescued and raised by ghosts in a graveyard--cool!).  Which leads me to the book that I read all vacation.  American Gods by Neil Gaimon.  Fascinating, wonderful writing and amusing.  A big recommend. 

I'm sure that the universe designed it for me to read it on this trip.

1 comment:

  1. Do not forget that the universe not only makes the unexpected happen, but gives you the strength, wisdom, and energy to make things happen too, for yourself and for others.

    You are a powerful force Christine. Do not lose sight of your considerable, amazing gifts.

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete