I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

48 Hours in Online Dating Hell

"To Thine Self Be True" --Shakespeare

Oh, my dear readers, how did you let me do that?  As soon as I posted about writing a match.com profile, you should have come running and screaming to me saying "that's not for you, you'll hate it!"  But how could you have known (or me either) that just creating a profile gets you active on the site--I didn't!  So within 12 hours, I had several e-mails from people who were trolling me.  I didn't want to go in--but I was curious.  And, oh, could I go on about the marketing expertise of Match.com--they get it and they are good at it...

So I bit and had to subscribe to see the e-mails.  Of the first two, one was quite nice.  So I was deluded to think this was a legitimate way to look.  But then I have been deluged for the last 48 hours with winks and e-mails from people who.....well, let's just say it felt like dating at the DMV!  I associate with literate and intelligent people, so I was shocked at how many people didn't use correct sentence structure, or wrote their profiles in text language.  As a Unitarian Universalist, I think all these people have worth and dignity.  As someone who wants to start dating again (but not now, for SURE), I was appalled and disgusted.

So after being woken up at 3:30 am by a text notifying me that I had a match.com e-mail (really, trolling at 3:30am?) and 48 hours of dating hell, I'm done and cancelled.  I may go back someday, but I'll have to be in a very different mindset and I'll have to be very patient.  And I may have to avoid the men.  But somehow it doesn't seem like feeling picky and going onto match.com are compatible for me. 

Also in the category of "no duh" for you, but suprising for me, men want to date women who are only younger than them.  And they don't want women who make significantly more money than them.  Stupid men!  I don't want to dumb myself down so that I don't intimidate people.

2 comments:

  1. Technically, you may still be younger than I am. But you will never have to dumb yourself down for me (in fact, I forbid it) and I am perfectly fine with the fact that you make a lot more money than me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Candy! Will you date me? Oh....see, there's the rub! Thanks, baby!

    ReplyDelete