I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dating? (aka Sum Yourself Up in 4 Paragraphs)

Be a source of joy, and let the critics and haters complain about the world. --Paulo Coelho


So, I spent some time this evening trolling on Match.com.  Fascinating.  Is that where people start?  There looks to be some interesting people, some VERY self-absorbed people and some real losers.  (Oh, that's a value judgment--bad Unitarian, bad, bad Unitarian). 

I had told myself that I'm not going to start dating until December 6th--at least one year from when I left.  It's arbitrary, I know, but it felt right and it's almost around the corner, so I'm going to wait until then.  I'm actually hoping to do some kind of ritual on that date--maybe turning on my profile will be a part of that?!

But after trolling, I found myself intrigued with how people summed themselves up in 4000 characters or less.  Some of them did an excellent job of bringing out their personality and "selling" themselves without selling too hard.  Some of them sent the vibe of "DON'T DATE ME!" and some of them typed it in text type (with no capitalization and u instead of you--yikes!).  But it made me wonder how to sum up myself.  So I dug in and started a profile--without signing up.  I started with the quote that I put on Facebook last week and really loved (listed above).  And then I realized that I already had some of my explanation in the profile for this blog.  I went from there.  Here's what I have.  Feedback is welcome.

I'm a woman of many labels: I'm a deep thinker, I'm a goof, I'm a triathlete, I'm a creative professional, I'm a mother and a good friend, I'm a progressive and a spiritual woman.

I'm all about love--I think the world needs more of it.  I think it matters how we treat the waitress or the man on the street.  I don't believe in grudges.  And I think that whether you think you can do something or that you can't do something, you're probably right. 

I value intelligence--but in the way that is witty, not just brainy.  I love it if you really "get" the Coen Brothers' movies.  I'm open to different political/religious/social beliefs, but it's way sexier if you can defend them from your own perspective, rather than just reciting what you've been told. 

I'm the mother of the two most amazing teenage men that you can imagine.  They spend half of their time with me--their father and I co-parent very well.  I have a very fulfilling career--that and my kids don't allow me tons of time, but the time I have, I like to fill it with adventures--I just tried hangliding this year, I'm training for a half-marathon and I've thought of picking up knitting again.  I'd love to get out and try out that new fusion restaurant or grab the wackiest Groupon deal we can find.  I enjoy spending time with friends or just curling up with a bottle of wine and a movie. 

I've done the traditional marriage with kids--now I'm open to what's next.  Friendship, romance, fun, adventure--bring it on.  I'm old enough to know who I am and I'm young enough to still enjoy it.

So here's the challenge.  I can only be listed as woman seeking man or woman seeking woman--but not both  So where do I start?  Do I pick one to dip my toe in the water?  Which toe?  Or do I set up two accounts? (and pay two memberships--seriously?  Bi-sexuality is expensive!).  Please weigh-in...  

No comments:

Post a Comment