I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Delighting in Joy

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

This weekend and today especially, I had just this great, joyful perspective.  Like all of us, I can buried in my own garbage.  I've been feeling like the world was trouncing on me.  Like I was being buried in emotion, duties, events and pressure.  And it wasn't so overwhelming that I just wanted to give up, but it was just the sense that I was waiting to catch a break. 

Over the last few days absolutely NOTHING has changed--except my attitude.  I decided to take myself less seriously.  I decided to stop feeling stressed.  I had one of those moments in the car yesterday where I went "yes, all these things are happening Christine, but how are you feeling RIGHT NOW?"  And I had to admit that "right now, I actually feel pretty good.  Everything is just fine."  I was not looking back and feeling the weight.  And I wasn't looking ahead and feeling the pressure.  Right then in that moment, I was perfectly fine.  Good, even. 

I had a delightful brunch with a new friend, a beer and a walk with an old friend and TV and chores with my children.  Today I was almost childish in my contentedness.  A whimsical gift at the doorstep of a friend, work with intention but not guilt or pressure, a birthday lunch with another friend, a favor for a friend in crisis and then deep theological musings--where we took ourselves too seriously and not seriously all at the same time. 

The universe delights in me delighting in the universe.  How blessed is this life when we just take a moment to revel in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment