I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Rehash

People like definite decisions,
Tidy answers, all the little ravelings
Stripped off, the lint removed, they
Hop happily among their roughs
Calling what they can’t clutch insanity
Or saintliness.

 
(Gwendolyn Brooks, 1917 – 2000)

I was reminded this past holiday weekend about how gray life is.  Not in the depressing way (although this being the first big holiday after the divorce, there was a little of that), but in the not black or white way.  There's a lot of gray. 

I like things clean and tidy.  I like to know what is what, what to expect and I love it when things fit into little compartments.  And life rarely does that.  The related quote to the one above is "if you want to see God laugh, show her your plans."  (Modified slightly to fit my theology).

I had an idea about how this Thanksgiving might go.  I had hopes for how it might go.  But of course, the universe always has other plans.  So I did a lot of going with the flow.  It opened me up for impromptu moments, supporting others on their journeys, confronting issues and just being in the moment--whether the moment was good or bad. 

I know that the socially acceptable answer to how was your holiday is a positive "Great!  Excellent!  I loved the meal and spending time with the family."  For me, the answer was more like "I made it through!"  But don't get me wrong, I understand every single moment just how blessed I am and I am extremely thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment