I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Power of Hope

"Expect to have hope rekindled. Expect your prayers to be answered in wondrous ways. The dry seasons in life do not last. The spring rains will come again."--Sarah Ban Breathnach
I just got back from rebuilding a house in New Orleans. And I was struck by a comment by a gentleman who hosted a dinner for all the people who were building houses for St. Bernard Project that week. He has hosted a dinner once a month for the last four years.
He said that what people who helped gave him back was not his home. It was HOPE. His house was under 10 feet of water. Everything was ruined. He had two feet of mud in his living room and his pool was a swamp. He felt violated and despondent. He had no idea how to start and how he would get through it all.
But then people started showing up, strangers started showing generosity and things started to improve. He realized that there were people who cared and he regained hope.
With all the talk about New Orleans, I heard so much about the rebuilding efforts that I thought it must be better by now. But driving through the streets, even I felt like it was hopeless. It's like looking at a hoarder's house and not knowing where to even start cleaning. I think the tragedy of New Orleans is not the destruction, poverty or crime; rather, it is that losing of hope. But for that man, just a few strangers helped give him a sense of hope. And with every 2x4 board we scraped, scrubbed and painted, I was pouring hope into that house for our homeowner named James.
I've had a rough year, but I have never once lost hope for a better future. I hope that the people of New Orleans can individually have that feeling of hope again too.

No comments:

Post a Comment