I'm a woman in transition: from being married to being single; from trying to appear perfect to trying to be vulnerable and authentic. Basically, I'm trying to love myself for who I am--for my imperfections AND my awesomeness.

I've always loved quotes and poems. They ground me and give me a topic on which to reflect. In this blog, I'll share a quote that has touched me that day and then what comes to mind when I think and feel about it.

These are my reflections as I go on my journey. As I open myself up to share them with you, I hope that they'll impact you as well and you'll share your reflections with me.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Loving Ourselves

"Love is not something we give or get; it is something that we nurture and grow, a connection that can only be cultivated between two people when it exists within each one of them--we can only love others as much as we love ourselves."  --Brene Brown

When people ask me if I'm dating anyone, my answer has been "Yes, I'm dating myself."  And that's not a flippant way to blow them off, but a genuine response.  I've realized that this is what this time is.  And these "self-dates" are some of the best dating experiences I've ever had (well, that says something about my dates, probably). 

When I left for the separation, my biggest goal of that time was to "find Christine."  I felt like I had lost her, like she had been subsumed by the relationship issues, the work, the obligations, etc.  And, gratefully, I found her.  Unfortunately, the woman I found didn't want to be married anymore, but she was far from dead. 

I'm really enjoying the time I have alone.  Kailey is getting settled in her job and she and Merrick have moved out.  This is the first night that I have the place entirely to myself--no kids, no babies, no guests, no one--for two months.  I've missed my date nights.  I can do anything I want.  I usually clean up the apartment--it is pretty fast when it's just me!  I often journal and listen to music.  Sometimes I cook, sometimes I just sit and be.  But I love the time.  And I have really missed having it. 

I hear many young couples say "I'll make you happy."  The truth is that I couldn't make Robb happy nor could I be responsible for loving him enough so he could love himself.  Only he could do that.  And only I can do it for myself.  For as long as I want. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember the days when my kids were little and I would have given my right arm for 5 minutes alone. And now I live alone (half the time, when Chelsea is away at school and Ian is with his dad) so I get much more alone time than I ever imagined.

    People ask me, "Does it feel strange?" And I answer, "It is wonderful." It's not that I don't love my kids or the new man in my life. It's that I am getting a chance to know myself, and it turns out I like her, a lot more than I used to.

    I get you, babe. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More power to you . I still struggle with being alone, or with myself. By "dating" yourself, you will be in a better place for someone and easier to be "happy".

    I did the therapy thing for two and half years, and the last thing we were working on was me being comfortable by myself. I tried it half-hearted, then realized I liked the co-dependent lifestyle. :-)

    Dating ..... That's a whole different animal.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete